Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Day 9

Well, unfortunately Ruthlande spiked a fever again last night. They gave her Tylenol and it hasn't come back again, but we're still waiting to see what happens. They did still find yeast in her urine, so it may simply be that. They took the catheter out today because apparently the tubing is a good breeding ground for the yeast. Now, we just have to watch to make sure she's emptying her bladder properly on her own - otherwise we may need to cath her every 4-6 hours or so. They have sent a sample of her urine to the lab so that they can find out exactly what type of yeast it is and determine if they need to change the anti-fungal that she's on. They also did a CAT scan yesterday to see if she had any abscesses in her brain (which sometimes happens with yeast infections I guess), but the CAT scan was clear.

I did get some bad news about her possible release from the hospital. At this point, they're not sure if they'll be able to release her because they don't know if home health care will come to us (since Ruthlande's care is being donated). If home health care won't come, she'll have to be in the hospital for at least two more weeks while she's on the IV antibiotics. This is pretty disappointing - I was hoping she might thrive more in our home. Plus, of course, it will be difficult for us to be here with her 24/7 if she's in the hospital that long. I think I would have to go home sometimes and just be with her as much as I can - definitely not optimum. So, please be praying that something can be worked out with home health care.

No comments: